Sunday 25 March 2018

Hail seizer

Y'know that thing, when you've loads of stuff to do, but... the sun's shining... when although you can rationalise that staying in and cracking on with some housework is the sensible option, you just can't escape the lure of some fresh air and the joy of a bit of wildlife watching.

That'd be this morning, then.

It was so sunny and bright (if a little nippy in the brisk westerly breeze) that I opted for my camera rather than my bins, and hightailed it down towards the shore. I was hoping for Lapwings and Hares in good light and close quarters, but twas not to be.

However, the coltsfootses looked much perkier this weekend...


There was a pair of Tufted Duck on the flooded field behind the old kirk...


Lesser Celandines were beginning to put on a show...


And the Common Gulls were busy being raucous in multiples of two...


On the cemetery wall, this Starling and Pied Wagtail reminded me of First and Second Born when they were much younger... Will there be an ice cream van parked at the top of the hill?


And another Pied Wagtail was negotiating the lichen and the stiffening breeze...


At this point, a sudden hail shower blew through, and I had to tuck my optics under my coat and head for home. Predictably, as I arrived there, blue skies returned and the sun reappeared. It was as if I'd imagined the freezing squall, save for my drenched trousers and knees that were complaining bitterly.

To finish on a warmer note, here's a short piece of time lapse footage I shot yesterday evening at the home of good friends. They live near the top of a hill, with expansive views to the east. As the sun sets, the shadow of the hill races across the island.

2 comments:

Spadger said...

Some great pictures and story to go with them. I had that feeling bright weather but the chore to undertake my regular bought of 'community service' won out in the end sadly.

The starling and pied wag on the cemetery wall made me smile and the pied wag is awesome.

I happened upon this bogsite during the week: http://www.cleybirds.com/ It seems Steve Gantlet or 'Ticker' as he's known among the old school twitchers, paid a visit to you archipelago a w eek or so back - you can see there what else you've been missing!

Imperfect and Tense said...

I'll have a look at that, many thanks.