Sunday 21 August 2016

Fly in the sky

Despite the blustery and overcast weather, there are still crane flies about. One particular individual spent the whole of yesterday afternoon on our lounge window, allowing the opportunity for some photographs in a range of lighting conditions (and wind speeds!).



I'm rather hoping that everyone is so appalled by the state of my windows, that no-one will mention anything to do with my faux pas of last week and the amount of wingage on display.

After sunset, I happened to be sat next to the window, listening to the cricket commentary on the radio, as Durham were narrowly defeated in the T20 Blast final by a plucky Northamptonshire side.


Anyway, it was growing darker as the light faded, and the crane fly slowly walked its way back down the glass, until it reached the frame at the bottom. After a pause of a few moments, possibly checking that the coast was clear of wagtails, it launched itself into the breeze and disappeared swiftly downwind.

This was probably a smart move in the circumstances, as today has seen plenty of wagtail, swallow and martin action around the garden, with a few pipits and a flock of sparrows thrown in for good measure. It makes you wonder just how many crane flies are required each year to keep a viable population on the go.

4 comments:

Mark said...

That's a Diptera I'm led to believe!

Me and my Wife are cycling round the Highlands, starting this Friday evening. I'll think of you nature loving Orkney Bloggers between Groats and Scrabster.

Toodles, Mark.

Imperfect and Tense said...

If you venture as far as Dunnet Head lighthouse, I'll wave. I hope that you both have a great time, and that the weather is kind to you.

GretchenJoanna said...

That is lovely! I just realized, reading your post, that I haven't seen crane flies around my house lately. Some years are "good years" for them, and they breed more busily. Often we had several congregating by our front door, who would get excited when we went in or out. But that hasn't been the case for a long time. I guess I miss them.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Excellent point, GJ, it may well have been a 'good' year in 2016. I certainly don't recall the flight season lasting this long or the crane flies being this abundant in previous years.